Studentenversicherung - - Public health insurance for students

Students insurance - - Public health insurance for students


Informations on the statutory health insurance for students
gesetzliche Krankenversicherung für Studenten
gesetzliche Krankenversicherung für Studenten
gesetzliche Krankenversicherung für Studenten
gesetzliche Krankenversicherung für Studenten
gesetzliche Krankenversicherung für Studenten
How do I insure myself as a student?

Your decision for a comprehensive education is a good foundation for success in your future profession. But any success will require that you are given good security for cases of sickness.
As a student in Germany, you have to be insured with a sickness fund. This sickness insurance is an important precondition for a registration as student with a university or college.

Students are covered by Social Security

As a student, you are covered by

  • the sickness insurance,
  • the nursing care insurance and
  • the accident insurance (during the attendance of the university or college and on your way to and from the corresponding locations).

The sickness and nursing are insurance are realized by us as your sickness fund. The accident insurance is provided automatically by the university or college.

When have I, as a student, have to take out my own policy?

The membership and the insurance coverage for a student normally starts at the beginning of the term, at the earliest, on the day of the initial or repeated registration, respectively. As of 2019, the contributions to the students’ sickness insurance are only €87,20 per month. The monthly contribution for the nursing care insurance is €22,69 (childless people at or after the age of 24 must pay an additional contribution of €1.86 to the nursing care insurance).
At your registration you will have to submit the university or college an insurance certificate issued by your sickness fund. It is normally valid for the whole time of your study. If you change the university or college, you must file a new insurance certificate. We shall send you the insurance certificate by return of post, as soon as you send us the completed application for membership.

Which sickness fund shall I choose?

When you choose the right objects for your education, we cannot help you, of course, whereas we can when you choose your sickness fund. For we shall provide you a model coverage as of the first day of your membership/insurance. To this, many other pluses are added that are in favour for us. For instance, we make things for you as easy as possible: Just send us the application for membership (please fill out in German language) and you will be fully insured as of the first day of the term.

How much money may I earn during my study?

As an ordinary student, you may exercise an employment in addition to your study if the employment

  • is not exercised for more than 20 hours a week or
  • is limited to 2 months at the most or
  • is limited to the university holidays.

If these limits are exceeded, you will no longer be considered a student, but an employee, and be subject to the correspondent statutory social insurance. Before starting an employment, you should consult us. We shall be pleased to help you.